What You Should Do If You're the Victim of Gender Discrimination

Let's say you show up to work one day and you see a notice for a new supervisory position that is available. You're a woman, and you know that all the other competitors for the job will be men. However, you also know that you're more experienced, better educated and better capable of carrying out the responsibilities.

You apply for the position, and you don't get the job. Instead, your employer chose to hire a male employee with a bachelor's degree and six months of job experience in contrast to your five years of experience and master's degree. After being passed up for promotions in the past, you're certain that you've been the victim of gender discrimination. What do you do?

Information from the Texas Workforce Commission

The Texas Workforce Commission has published guidelines on its website to help you navigate a sex discrimination problem at your job. Those who suspect they have been victims of sex or gender discrimination can submit a complaint to the TWC Civil Rights Division.

Under the Texas Labor Code Chapter 21 and Title VII of the Civil Rights Act, those who suffer on-the-job discrimination due to their sex can seek claims for financial restitution and justice. They can also put the sex discrimination to an immediate stop. These regulations generally apply to businesses that employ 15-plus employees, in addition to all jobs with state and local governments.

The Texas Workforce Commission defines sex discrimination as being treated differently than fellow employees on the basis of being female or male, or being pregnant. This also refers to assumptions and stereotypes based on gender.

Can I seek legal action over a gender discrimination matter?

Pursuing a lawsuit over a gender or sex discrimination matter may not be necessary if you're able to identify the problem and negotiate with your employer. However, it's not uncommon for Texas residents to suffer from retaliation -- like being fired from their jobs -- after bringing forward an issue related to sex discrimination. If this happens to you, you may have the ability to pursue legal action to protect your employment rights and seek financial compensation in court.